UNATTENDED VULNERABLE ADULT
Adopted: July 11, 2018. Effective July 12, 2018
The Calloway County Public Library (CCPL) strives to provide a warm, welcoming and safe environment for all community members. CCPL is particularly concerned for the safety of vulnerable adults* in and around the Library.
A parent/guardian or caregiver 18 years of age or older must be responsible for monitoring the activities and managing the behavior of vulnerable adults during their Library visits.
CCPL Staff cannot be expected to monitor or prevent vulnerable adults from leaving the building/grounds or to assume responsibility for monitoring their behavior.
The Calloway County Public Library will adhere to the following guidelines concerning the care and behavior of vulnerable adults:
Vulnerable adults, who can understand and follow the rules of conduct and who can care for themselves, are welcome to be in the Library unattended. Vulnerable adult will be expected to follow the rules of conduct as outlined in the CCPL Patron Code of Conduct. They should have contact information for a parent/guardian or caregiver who can assist them in an emergency.
Vulnerable adults who are unable or unwilling to care for themselves must be attended and have adequate supervision at all times.
CCPL Staff will attempt to contact a parent/guardian or caregiver when a vulnerable adult's:
- Health or safety is in doubt
- Behavior disturbs other Library users
- Actions violate any of the CCPL Patron Code of Conduct rules
- Parent/Guardian or caregiver is not present at closing time.
Every reasonable effort will be made by the staff to assist the vulnerable adult in contacting the appropriate responsible adult. If no responsible adult is reached, or the vulnerable adult is not picked up within 15 minutes of CCPL closing, staff may notify the police or sheriff department.
*A vulnerable adult is an individual over the age of 18 who is mentally or physically challenged to a degree that significantly impairs the individual's ability to provide adequately for his/her own care or manage his/her own behavior without assistance.
If an Unattended Vulnerable Adult is found without a parent/guardian or caregiver, CCPL staff will use the following procedure:
- Staff will locate the parent/guardian or caregiver in the library and explain the Unattended Vulnerable Adult Policy.
- Staff will make every effort to contact the parent/guardian or caregiver who is not in the library to pick up the vulnerable adult immediately.
- If a parent/guardian or caregiver does not arrive at CCPL within 10 minutes the police will be asked to pick up the vulnerable adult. Staff will immediately notify the Director that police have been called.
- Two staff members will remain with the vulnerable adult until the parent/guardian or caregiver or police arrive. This is compensated time for the two staff members who remain with the vulnerable adult.
- Leave a note on the CCPL door stating "Unattended Adult is at the (appropriate Police or Sheriff Department)" once the vulnerable adult is in the care of the police. Names will not be stated on the sign.
- Staff members will not transport any vulnerable adult from the library to another location.
The Calloway County Public Library Board reserves the right to alter this policy without prior notice.
Calloway County Public Library | 710 Main Street Murray, Kentucky 42071 | (270) 753-2288 | www.callowaycountylibrary.org