Gifts & Donations Policy
The Calloway County Public Library appreciates donations from the public and from businesses and organizations.
Gifts of Books and Other Library Materials
Due to space constraints and limited processing resources, CCPL is unable to accept all materials offered to us. The library reserves the right to dispose of unsolicited materials in any manner it deems appropriate.
The Library accepts gifts of library materials in good condition. This includes, but is not limited to, books, audiobooks, CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays.
The library does not accept the following:
- Anything donated with restrictions as to disposition or use
- Books and materials stained with water, dust, or mold (which could spread to the existing collection), etc., or
- anything with a noticeable odor.
- Magazines (Including National Geographic)
- Encyclopedias over two years old
- Textbooks over two years old
- Computer Books over two years old
- VHS tapes
- Vinyl record albums or music cassettes
- Anything that needs repair
All library materials accepted as gifts will be evaluated in accordance with the Calloway County Public Library Collection Development Policy.
In most cases, usable library materials that the Library does not add to its collections are offered to the Friends of the Calloway County Public Library for their book sales. Money raised by the Friends from their book sales is used to benefit CCPL.
Gift plates to recognize donors are not usually placed in or on used items donated and added to the library collections. Gift plates are customarily placed in or on new items donated and added to the library collections or in items purchased by the library with monetary donations. CCPL retains the prerogative to determine when the use of a gift plate for recognition is feasible and appropriate.
A memorial is created when money or materials is donated to add items to the collection, usually in memory or honor of an individual or group. CCPL welcomes suggestions for purchases, but reserves the right to the final decision regarding all materials. A memorial may be placed in the library collection for reference or circulation use. CCPL will place a bookplate inside memorial items and a thank you letter will be sent to donors. Notes announcing the gifts will be sent to up to three people selected by the donor.
Those wishing to present a memorial may request a memorial packet from a circulation staff member, who will assist the donor with any questions they may have regarding the paperwork. The money and completed memorial packet will be given to the Acquisitions Librarian, who will send acknowledgements and announcements, and select and order the item(s). Upon receipt of the item(s), the Acquisitions Librarian will complete the processing and add a bookplate.
Donations of any other types of gifts will be considered by the library director on a case-by-case basis.
The Calloway County Public Library can provide receipts for gifts only in the following cases:
- Cash or check donations: A receipt will be sent in the form of a letter stating the amount donated.
- All other donations: Acknowledgment letters are usually not written for routine donations of used materials. At the request of the donor, CCPL will supply a Books and Materials Acknowledgement Form (See Appendix B) signed by the employee receiving the materials. This will be given only at the time of the donation. The form will list the number and type of donation only. The donor is responsible for assigning and documenting monetary value for tax purposes.
The library cannot give receipts for previously donated material.
Gifts to Library Staff
Individual library staff cannot accept valuable gifts or any form of currency for the services they provide as library staff. Appreciative patrons are encouraged to make contributions to the library as a whole, or provide a gift that all staff can enjoy equally. This policy is to ensure that staff will treat all members of the public equally, and that no preferential treatment is shown or expected.
The Calloway County Public Library Board reserves the right to alter this policy without prior notice.